For most of us, life is hectic and stressful. Sometimes stress can become so overwhelming; it begins to take a toll on our physical health as well as our mental health. It can even have a negative impact on our oral health.
If you find that your life is particularly stressful, it’s essential to visit your Yuma dentist regularly—especially if you see yourself dealing with any of the following oral health concerns.
Ways Stress Can Impact Your Oral Health
Dealing with stress in your life can impact your oral health in some ways:
- Poor oral hygiene—It’s easy to skip brushing and flossing when you are stressed and feel like you have too much to do. You might also find yourself too busy to see your dentist regularly.
- Gum disease—Stress can have a negative impact on your immune system, making you more susceptible to infections such as gum disease.
- Poor diet—When you are busy, grabbing unhealthy fast food might become a habit. Too much fast food might mean you are not getting the nutrients you need for optimal health.
- Teeth grinding—If you are under a lot of stress, you might be grinding your teeth at night and waking up with a headache or a sore jaw.
- Mouth sores—One of the primary causes of mouth sores, including canker sores and cold cores, is stress.
How to Deal with Stress
It’s important to manage your stress to protect not only your oral health but also your overall well-being. Here are some suggestions:
- Find an activity you like that keeps you moving on a regular basis. Exercise is a great way to help reduce stress.
- Get plenty of sleep.
- Get the nutrition you need by eating a healthy diet.
- Don’t skimp on your oral health. Take the time to brush and floss—and be sure to visit your Yuma dentist twice each year for examinations and cleanings.
See Your Yuma AZ Dentist
Don’t let stress ruin your oral health! Give Dr. Sam Carroll a call and make an appointment today.